Should I report Gains from Exchange of Insurance Contracts?

If you have a sale, exchange, or disposition of an insurance contract that doesn't qualify as tax exempt under IRC Section 1035, report the taxable exchange of any insurance contracts you reported for federal income tax purposes. If you have more than one taxable exchange of contracts, report the total gain you realized.

The following exchanges are tax-exempt under IRC Section 1035, so you shouldn't report them on your Pennsylvania return:
  • An exchange of a life insurance contract for another life insurance contract, an endowment contract, or an annuity contract;
  • An exchange of an annuity contract for another annuity contract;
  • An exchange of an endowment contract for an annuity contract; and
  • An exchange of one endowment contract for another endowment contract if the dates for payments begin on or before the original contract's payment dates.

Trusted Company

14 Million Returns Filed

As an authorized IRS e-file provider, FreeTaxUSA® has e-filed over 14 million returns!

Best Value

File your federal taxes for FREE.
Add a state return for only $12.95.
Get the best value online!

Fast Refund

Get the fastest refund possible!

FreeTaxUSA provides the fastest way to get your refund when you use IRS e-file and direct deposit.

100% Accuracy

Our site checks for errors or problems before you send your tax return to the IRS. We guarantee the calculations in our software will be 100% accurate.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use