How to file an extension

How do I file an extension (Form 4868) with the IRS?

If you need to file an extension with the IRS, sign in to your account and click Account > 2014 Extension or Account > What Would You Like to Do > then choose the Begin your 2014 Extension.

Once you have started entering your extension information, you can navigate directly to it from Account on the menu bar, 2014 Extension on the menu and select the screen you need.

Should I file an extension?

If you think you might not be able to file your tax return by the April 15th deadline, you should absolutely file an extension. That gives you protection against late filing penalties if you are unable to file by April 15th.

An extension, however, does not protect against interest or late payment penalties. You still need to pay the IRS any taxes owed by the April 15th deadline even if you file your tax return after that date. However, late filing penalties are a lot larger than interest or late payment penalties, so an extension should be filed to protect against those penalties. You can file a free extension on FreeTaxUSA.

Form 4868 extension and amount owed to the IRS.

If you owe money to the IRS, you will need to send in your payment by April 15th in order to avoid interest or late payment penalties. However, even if you cannot pay the IRS the amount owed, you should either file your tax return or file an extension by April 15th in order to avoid late filing penalties. Late filing penalties are a lot larger than interest or late payment penalties. A Form 4868 extension, gives you an extra 6 months to file your tax return, but it does not give you an extra 6 months to pay any taxes owed to the IRS.

Deluxe Edition

Includes All Free Features PLUS:

Audit Assist

Protect your taxes with Audit Assist!

Our tax professionals will assist you if you are audited by the IRS. Get the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are covered.

Included with DELUXE...
Find out More!

Free Edition

FREE Federal, FREE e-file

Our online application is designed to be simple and fast. Most returns can be completed within 30 minutes. No software to download. Use any computer that has an internet connection.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use