Do I have to enter a 1099-MISC record?

The 1099-MISC record is not e-filed to the IRS like a W-2 (W2) is. The 1099-MISC screen helps identify whether the income shown on the 1099-MISC should go onto a Schedule C, Schedule E, Schedule F or as Other Income on Line 21 of Form 1040. It then flows the 1099-MISC income to the correct form.

If you know where the income should be reported and you do not have any federal tax withheld shown on the 1099-MISC, you could choose to skip entering the 1099-MISC and just enter the income directly on a Schedule C record, Royalty record, Rental record, Farm Income record, or as Other Income on the on the Other Income screen in the Uncommon Income section. If you do enter the income directly on one of those records, make sure you don't have it entered as a 1099-MISC also, if you do that then the income will be doubled on your Schedule C, etc.

Trusted Company

14 Million Returns Filed

As an authorized IRS e-file provider, FreeTaxUSA® has e-filed over 14 million returns!

Best Value

File your federal taxes for FREE.
Add a state return for only $12.95.
Get the best value online!

Fast Refund

Get the fastest refund possible!

FreeTaxUSA provides the fastest way to get your refund when you use IRS e-file and direct deposit.

100% Accuracy

Our site checks for errors or problems before you send your tax return to the IRS. We guarantee the calculations in our software will be 100% accurate.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use