I am a contractor and do not have a business. How do I enter my 1099-MISC without entering a business?

The IRS considers consulting or contractor income as business income that needs to be entered on a Schedule C. If you have self-employment income from a 1099-MISC which is the case with most Form 1099-MISC, you do need to report the income on Schedule C.

Click on the Business Income (Schedule C) link in the Business Income section of the menu. Add a business record. On the Basic Business Information screen, just enter a short description of the type of work you did for the business description. If you did consulting work, type in something like business consultant or consulting service for the business description. Select the business code that best describes the type of work you are doing. Select "Cash" as the type of accounting method used. All of the other questions usually can be left blank. Then on the next screen, you select the checkbox for the Form 1099-MISC income that relates to the Schedule C. The next screens will ask for business expenses, but if you do not have any, you can just keep going through those screens without entering anything. Your 1099-MISC income will then correctly show up on Schedule C and be subject to the self-employment taxes.

Trusted Company

14 Million Returns Filed

As an authorized IRS e-file provider, FreeTaxUSA® has e-filed over 14 million returns!

Best Value

File your federal taxes for FREE.
Add a state return for only $12.95.
Get the best value online!

Fast Refund

Get the fastest refund possible!

FreeTaxUSA provides the fastest way to get your refund when you use IRS e-file and direct deposit.

100% Accuracy

Our site checks for errors or problems before you send your tax return to the IRS. We guarantee the calculations in our software will be 100% accurate.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use