How can I make changes to my tax return after I have e-filed it?

Once you e-file your return, you need to wait and see if the IRS accepts or rejects the e-filed return. If the IRS rejects the e-filed return, you can go back into your account and make any changes you want before you e-file your tax return again.

If the IRS accepts your tax return, then you will need to do an amended tax return to make changes to your original tax return. Sign in to your account and go to the paragraph that talks about amended/corrected tax returns on the View Return Status and Print Your Copy screen. You will be able to start an amended tax return from there. We'll help you prepare your federal amended tax return and also your state amended return(s) if you filed your original state tax return(s) with us.

If you e-filed one or more state returns along with the federal return, each return needs to be accepted before amending.

Deluxe Edition

Includes All Free Features PLUS:

Audit Assist

Protect your taxes with Audit Assist!

Our tax professionals will assist you if you are audited by the IRS. Get the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are covered.

Included with DELUXE...
Find out More!

Free Edition

FREE Federal, FREE e-file

Our online application is designed to be simple and fast. Most returns can be completed within 30 minutes. No software to download. Use any computer that has an internet connection.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use