What capital gains and extraordinary dividends can I deduct?

Nebraska residents can elect to deduct the extraordinary dividends paid on and the gain received from the sale or exchange of capital stock of a "qualified" corporation acquired either because of employment by the corporation or while employed by the qualified corporation.

"Extraordinary dividend" means any dividend greater than 20 percent of the fair market value of the stock on which it is paid as of the date the dividend is declared. Individuals are entitled to one election during their lifetime for the capital stock of one qualified corporation.

Special Capital Gains Election Computation, Form 4797N , must be sent to the Nebraska Department of Revenue to report your election.

When claiming the Extraordinary Dividend Deduction, a copy of federal Schedule B is required.

Deluxe Edition

Includes All Free Features PLUS:

Audit Assist

Protect your taxes with Audit Assist!

Our tax professionals will assist you if you are audited by the IRS. Get the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are covered.

Included with DELUXE...
Find out More!

Free Edition

FREE Federal, FREE e-file

Our online application is designed to be simple and fast. Most returns can be completed within 30 minutes. No software to download. Use any computer that has an internet connection.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use