What if I buy taxable goods or services in another state, and the vendor charges sales tax for the other state?

If the goods or services were purchased for use in Connecticut and the sales tax you paid to the other state is less than the Connecticut tax, you must report and pay the use tax.

Your use tax is the difference between the Connecticut tax and the tax paid to the other state. If the tax paid to the other state is equal to or more than the Connecticut tax, you owe no use tax to Connecticut. There is no refund for tax paid to another state when that state's tax rate is greater than Connecticut's use tax rate.

Deluxe Edition

Includes All Free Features PLUS:

Audit Assist

Protect your taxes with Audit Assist!

Our tax professionals will assist you if you are audited by the IRS. Get the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are covered.

Included with DELUXE...
Find out More!

Free Edition

FREE Federal, FREE e-file

Our online application is designed to be simple and fast. Most returns can be completed within 30 minutes. No software to download. Use any computer that has an internet connection.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use